I went to a charter school a week ago today and interviewed some students who were going off to boarding school this coming fall. I was blown away by how intelligent these two students are. Their vocabulary was up to par and their demeanor is one of a college graduate. I was amazed at the curriculum of the school as well. The school is located in an area of low-income families and students attend at no cost. The education these students receive is of quality. The philosophy of the school is, just because you are growing up in a poverty-stricken neighborhood does not mean one cannot grow and receive good education.
As I was talking to the director of development of the school, I wondered to myself, why is it that positive media like student accomplishments is ignored for the most part. All people want to tune into is drama, murder, and complete chaos, especially among African-Americans. The paper I write does not center on those things at all. They center on the positive events that occur withing that community and the African-American community as well. The hardcore news is not really for me, unless it centers on racial and ethnic issues.
What plenty failed to realize is that blacks (Africans, Caribbeans, Hispanic backgrounds, and etc) are very versatile. Why not expose that to the rest of the world instead of exposing only one side? We even have Africans viewing their own people here in the U.S. as irresponsible and tactless due to how they are portrayed in the media. I figured that it would be my responsibility to change that starting with the small newspaper I write for now. I should find more positive news and pitch those ideas to my editor, since I am that fed up with hearing about a young black or Latino male getting shot, robbed, and/or jumped. In a way, I feel as if they are getting exploited. While plenty feel sorry for the young man, barely anyone lends a helping hand. It is the same case as the young females of color. Barely any other them are offered help, and are exploited and degraded. It is time for us to wake up and make a change, starting now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
It is said back in my homeland (Naija) that 'Charity begins at home'. If children dont have strong disciplinary principles instilled in them by STRICT, positive role models while growing up, chances are they'll be easily influenced by a lot of the negativities they visualize/internalize and that makes it even easier for them to learn behaviours that may be considered detrimental.
It is especially in their pre-teens that children should already have instilled in them, this strict method of self-discipline, because at this developmental stage they're already trying to form an identity and they're EASILY influenced by outside factors such as the media and especially their peers.
I'm glad I grew up in a home with a very strict, yet gentle father and an even more gentle mother. I never have been the kind of person who gets easily influenced by the crowd or someone who is considered a 'push-over'. Looking back now, I appreciate the way my father raised me with an 'iron hand' and you can bet this will help form a foundation on how I will raise my future kids. :-)
Post a Comment